Subject: commit messages and ABI

commit messages and ABI

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 00:15:13 +0100 (CET)

Team!

We also need to

1. Stick to the commit message style. The commit message SHOULD follow this
template:

   [area]: [short description]

   [longer description]

   [Reported-by: XXX YYY - credit is important!]
   [Fixes/Closes #num]

Personally, I find that alone is a mighty good reason to *not* use the merge
button on github since then it's really hard to cleanup and make sure the
commit message is fine and compliant. We only commit once (to master) but the
commit might be read thousands of times. It is worth spending a little extra
time on making it good.

I find it really valuable when "git log" tells a good story of the changes
without me having to actually read the diff to understand where and what the
change was about. Unless of course I want to *exact* details, but that's not
what I'm talking about here.

2. Do not break the ABI. I find it curious that nobody else had found this
mistake, but changing variable types in a public struct is *not* okay (and it
caused my application to get big fat warnings in the build). See
https://github.com/libssh2/libssh2/pull/339. This suggests to me we're not
ripe for a 1.9.0 release yet. We need more testing first. I'll try to do my
part.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se