Subject: Re: Release schedule

Re: Release schedule

From: Will Cosgrove <will_at_panic.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 15:54:57 -0700

>> What abstraction was replaced?
>
> I consider commit f7daf31 to be completely wrong as it stands. The goal
> is fine, to enable backends to call system DH, but the implementation
> is particularly backwards.

It does seem like the common functions could stay in kex.c while calling into the specific backends as needed. I’d review a PR or diff if you wanted to tackle bringing this back.

>>> I don't know if there are major things being worked on at the moment?
>>
>> I have an open PR that includes the OpenSSH key file format support
>> and ED25519 key support which is quite large.
>
> Cool. Is there more work to be done on those, or do they "only" need
> review? I'll have some libssh2 time the week after next.

It’s currently at review stage, it is fully functional. Key reading is backend agnostic. However, it is only implemented in OpenSSL. ED25519 is also only in OpenSSL. It is just a matter of if we wait for OpenSSL 1.1.1 to ship and use ED25519 support from there, or use the curve implementation from BoringSSL which is part of the PR. The later would allow other backends to use it for their key support if there is interest and bringing it to them. The former allows us to not worry about keeping it up to date if there ever is modifications.

Will