Subject: Re: libssh2_sftp_write blocks for about 3 minutes

Re: libssh2_sftp_write blocks for about 3 minutes

From: Jerome Zimmermann <Jerome.Zimmermann_at_ipetronik.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 14:11:03 +0100

Hello again,

> Examining the return value of select() reveals that the socket is always
> ready for reading or writing even when the physical connection is no longer available.
> Further, I verified the socket state with getsockopt() and connect().
> But the socket is always in the "connect"-state.

In the case when the physical cable is removed the application (client) does no
longer get an acknowledged for the transmitted data packets (from the server).

Subsequently, TCP Retransmission packets are sent.
The used operating systems tries this for three minutes.
When this time is elapsed the TCP socket connection is closed.
So, the TCP socket is during this three minutes in the connection state,
although there is no physical connection.

I am not an TCP/IP expert, but is there in general a way to identify such a situation ?

> The libssh2 remains in the libssh2_sftp_write function.
> More precise, the second do while loop of the BLOCK_ADJUST macro.
> Here, function libssh2_wait_socket always returns 0.

I have the possibility to reduce this "blocking" time with
function libssh2_session_set_timeout as with the retransmission timeout
from the operating system.

> Is there a way to identify such a "broken connection" to break
> earlier the loop and so avoid a CPU load of 100% ?

However, the problem with the high CPU load of 100% still remains.

Is it possible to handle this issue in the libssh2 ?

Best regards
Jerome

Impressum/Imprint: https://www.ipetronik.com/impressum

Jerome Zimmermann wrote:
> the socket is always ready for reading or writing even when the
> physical connection is no longer available.

That's a good find, it's the key point.

> Is there a way to identify such a "broken connection" to break
> earlier the loop and so avoid a CPU load of 100% ?

There probably is, but not in the application. This is a TCP stack
tunable, so you have to study what your operating system allows you
to configure.

//Peter