Subject: Re: configure.ac crypto library checks [was: 1.8.0]

Re: configure.ac crypto library checks [was: 1.8.0]

From: Tor Arntsen <kspt.tor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 12:44:47 +0200

On 27 October 2016 at 13:15, Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se> wrote:
> Kamil Dudka wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 27, 2016 01:05:08 Peter Stuge wrote:
>> > Also, I would like to argue that given --with-x but no x found should
>> > be considered a fatal error by configure. Any objections to that?
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea. By fatal error, you mean to return non-zero exit
>> status from configure script, or exit immediately and skip all the remaining
>> checks?
>>
>> I would prefer the former.
>
> Right, certainly exit non-zero.
>
> I was thinking exiting then and there (with a useful error message)
> when the requested x is not available.
>
> Why do you prefer running more checks when a failure can't be avoided
> anyway?

I would prefer the latter. It's messy to work with configure scripts
which just continue after detecting something missing, with tons of
more output, and then have to scroll back page after page to try to
spot where it failed (or where it first failed). Better to exit
directly there and then, the failed check right at the end, fix (e.g.
install a missing library), run configure again, repeat as necessary.
Much easier.