Subject: Re: MIgration from libssh

Re: MIgration from libssh

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 13:52:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 31 Aug 2016, Antenore Gatta wrote:

> We are considering the possibility to move away from libssh and migrate all
> of our libssh code to libssh2.
>
> As reference we were using the comparison page on your site, but it looks
> really outdated.

So what in particular looks outdated? We could possibly try to address those
specific concerns if you articulate them.

There's that pull request from a libssh contributor that I've never merged
(https://github.com/libssh2/www/pull/2) but I think there's a value for our
users if we keep that comparison accurate and honest.

> Do you please have any advices for us? Do you have any experience on these
> kind of migrations?

I've not seen any users write about such experiences before so I'm afraid
that's a road not very frequently travelled.

Once upon the time I castually followed the libssh development a bit, but that
was many years ago and I was never much into how their API worked anyway.

> There are also some features we are interested with, like support for
> ~/ssh/config files parsing (I know it's openssh only), FIDO U2F, that at the
> moment you are not supporting, if I'm not wrong, and I was wondering if
> these are in your todo list.

We don't really have a TODO or a roadmap as a project but simply depend on
what people and contributers want to work on and submit to us for inclusion.

But there's hardly any secret that there aren't that many developers who
actually work on improving libssh2 day to day and we have quite a few
outstanding bugs and pull requests now that could really use more attention.

config parsing and fido u2f sound like decent things to support and if someone
would provide code for them, I pretty sure they will be welcome.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se