Subject: Re: Question about an eventloop.

Re: Question about an eventloop.

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 20:04:32 +0200

Stef Bon wrote:
> > Second, it seems arrogant to expect that someone will spend their
> > time to teach you a protocol which is already publically documented.
>
> It seems arrogant to aks for some hints? Huh?

Well you got the hint - check the docs. They are really good. I
wouldn't recommend reading them if it was a waste of your time.

The secsh RFCs are well structured and very low overhead. They are a
quick and informative read.

> I work on projects with volunteers, as I am. I do not expect for new
> volunteers to understand important details right away. I have to
> explain a lot, and I understand that. Our project - rural agriculture -
> benefits from the community , and we have to put a lot of energy in
> teaching and coordination.

I guess I expect people to teach themselves, because they want to
learn, and to ask for help only when they are completely stuck,
because they are developers themselves and they already know how
scarce a resource developer time is.

I don't oppose training at all - it is fantastic - but I don't think
it is realistic to expect volunteers to do useful training in their
spare time.

> Maybe you should read:
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/article/hadoop-veteran-ted-dunning-when-open-source-is-anything-but-open/

Thanks for the link. I have to disagree with the statement that
"Building community is the point of open source," since for me it
really is about the software. It's of course accurate that software
is inanimate, but to me that's not something negative.

I think in terms of what software can do, not about who is doing
something with it and certainly not how quickly the software changes.

> And in my opinion calling somebody "Dude you should do this and that"
> is not very cooperative. It's offending.

If you want to implement a protocol extension then you have to learn
the protocol. By far the most efficient way to do so is to read the
RFCs, which is why I pointed you to them already in a previous reply.

When you continue to ask questions which are answered by the resource
I have already pointed you to, maybe you can understand that I get an
impression that you either aren't paying attention or can't be
bothered to read the RFCs.

You want to enter a new field and I think that's great! Is it really
unreasonable for more experienced developers to ask of you that you
study in order to get up to speed?

If you run into trouble understanding the RFCs of course you should
ask questions.

But asking other people is not a replacement for trying yourself.

//Peter