Subject: Re: Back on the release track

Re: Back on the release track

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 09:43:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 20 May 2014, Peter Stuge wrote:

> I just really dislike adding back the #ifdefs in crypto source files. I
> don't agree with making code support the lowest common denominator of all
> build systems. I prefer taking advantage of features in more advanced build
> systems and making less advanced build systems suffer, if the common case
> for us benefits from those advantages in more advanced build systems.

This is a question where we simply disagree. My reasoning for keeping those
small lines is that even if "proper" build systems have no problems to build
the correct files, I've found many times when people want to build that it is
a much less support burden when you can just tell users to build all files.

If that doesn't work, the less educated will fail and come asking us more.

I consider a few #ifdef lines for that reason is a very low price to pay.

As we've already stated this before, I consider our positions locked and I
don't expect any of us to suddenly think different now.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se