Subject: Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

Re: libssh2 master 42aefdb configure.ac: Call zlib zlib and not libz in text but keep option names

From: Alexander Lamaison <swish_at_lammy.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:58:49 +0100

On 19 September 2013 09:59, Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se> wrote:
> Alexander Lamaison wrote:
>> On 18 September 2013 21:05, Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se> wrote:
>> >
>> > My main reason for not liking cmake is that it requires cmake to be
>> > installed on every system where the code has to build.
>>
>> I've often heard this criticism levelled at CMake but never really
>> understood it.
>
> It is one more build-time dependency. It's nice to keep those at a
> minimum. That's IMO why we have an NMakefile & co at all, and not
> just force everybody to make autotools work for them before they can
> build the library.

I'm very dependency-phobic and was sceptical too at first, but in
reality I was worrying about nothing. I suspect that one day these
debates will seem like assembly programmers worrying that the compiler
is one more build-time dependency they can do without.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)