Subject: Re: Installing libssh2 on HP-UX

Re: Installing libssh2 on HP-UX

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 13:18:43 +0100

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:42:29AM +0000, Wes Donze wrote:
> Thanks for your response - I think I've drawn the short straw here on this - got asked to install this
> The only output I get from the make is what I posted originally -
> It now looks like I need to install 'git' to get any diagnostics as I do not have that on my hp-ux system.

You can use a daily snapshot tarball instead, from
http://www.libssh2.org/snapshots/ You don't need git to get diagnostics, just to
get the absolute latest source code. The configure diagnostics are automatically
logged to config.log, and the build logs are shown by default to stdout.

> I will try another user other than root - appreciate the suggestion - although there is nothing in the installation notes referring to this

This is just basic security practise. You don't want arbitrary source code that
you run to have full access to the system (although, you really have to have
some trust in it if you're going to run it later), nor do you want to mess up
the installation with an errant install or configuration change without
checking what the code tries to do first.

>>> Dan