Subject: Re: Issue in reading message sent from remote process

Re: Issue in reading message sent from remote process

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 00:02:20 +0200

Narayani wrote:
> I am facing an issue while using libssh2.

Actually I disagree. Your issue is with designing a remote process
communication protocol which runs on top of SSH. This has absolutely
nothing to do with libssh2.

> I am not sure how to access this data in the remote node.

That depends on how you design your remote process communication
protocol which runs on top of SSH. How you do that is entirely up
to you, the SSH protocol and thus libssh2 only offers you a secure
8-bit clean transport, nothing else.

> I tried using 'read' (not libssh2 read) from stdout

Yes, your remote process communication protocol will likely make use
of stdin, stdout and perhaps also stderr on the server side.

If you like you can also choose to implement using an SSH subsystem.
In my opinion they are quite under-utilized.

> but it does not work.

We can not magically know why.

You have a problem in your systems programming code in your
application protocol, so you have to debug it.

Your libssh2 source code is rather messy, I think you would find it
easier to debug your protocol if you first clean up the source.

You seem to be using a session channel with a shell in a pty, I don't
know if that is on purpose or by accident, but you should know that
it is has quite extensive consequences which you need to be familiar
with in order to use the channel successfully.

Since you didn't write anything about the desired semantics of what
you want to develop it's impossible to give any advice on what you
should or should not use.

//Peter