Subject: Re: Getting no identities from ssh-agent

Re: Getting no identities from ssh-agent

From: Seth Willits <seth_at_freaksw.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 19:15:01 -0700

On May 3, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:

>> Any ideas how can I figure out what's going on?
>
> Run:
>
> ssh-add -l
>
> See if the above lists your identities.

For whatever reason, with the OS X system-launched ssh-agent instance, ssh-add says it can't connect to it. If I launch my own ssh-agent, it works fine with that. The SSH_AUTH_SOCK envar is setup correctly, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work. So I am starting to suspect this has something more to do with OS X than ssh-agent<->libssh2 but I'm still just guessing.

So ssh-add -l sadly doesn't work.

> Then run:
>
> ktrace ssh-add -l && ktruss
>
> and compare the output with
>
> ktrace ssh2_agent && ktruss

ktrace is on OS X so I'll have to look into that later.

>> (Running OS X 10.7)
>
> Note that SSH identities may be magically managed by Keychain on OS X
> and so far noone has contributed Keychain support to libssh2. If you
> need it you'll have to code it.
>
> If ssh-add -l works then you can of course try to extract any
> Keychain patches for OpenSSH from Apple and rework them into libssh2
> changes. That would be cool!

If I can figure out what the problem is, I'll happily contribute the code. :-) I've roughly heard it uses Keychain, but I don't know anything about the details. Do you have any more info on this? I'll gladly look into it if it's a potential solution.

I've posted in the Apple devforms as well incase anyone there knows what the problem might be.

Thanks Peter,

--
Seth Willits