Subject: Re: Unable to exchange encryption keys

Re: Unable to exchange encryption keys

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 09:15:59 +0100

Peter Stuge wrote:
> > > libssh2 can't get past key exchange with the (public) server
> > > dante.u.washington.edu.
> >
> > I'm analyzing this now.. It's strange.
>
> libssh2 thinks it has sent KEX, but TCP has not yet gotten an ACK for
> the client identification string.
>
> Gut feeling is that the problem is in TCP on the server end..
>
> Not sure if libssh2 should send KEX before the client identification
> has been ACKed.

I've been comparing TCP packets for a while now, and the only
difference I've seen is the client identification string.

And indeed:

     session = libssh2_session_init();
+ libssh2_session_banner_set(session, "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.4");
     if (libssh2_session_handshake(session, sock)) {

..allows libssh2 to speak with dante without problems.

//Peter