Subject: Re: some warnings when compiling for windows

Re: some warnings when compiling for windows

From: Alexander Lamaison <swish_at_lammy.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:38:59 +0000

On 31 October 2011 13:21, Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se> wrote:
> Alexander Lamaison wrote:
>> shouldn't the question be why are we including windows.h rather
>> than the winsock header?
>
> We want some stuff from windows.h, and to me it seems appropriate to
> include it explicitly, but of course we could go the other way and
> only include winsock2.h and rely on it including windows.h. Matter of
> taste?

Unless I'm reading the documentation incorrectly, it is not a matter
of taste in this case but, rather, the way the headers are meant to be
used: "The Winsock2.h header file internally includes core elements
from the Windows.h header file, so there is not usually an #include
line for the Windows.h header file in Winsock applications."

Alex