Subject: Re: Problem with known_hosts

Re: Problem with known_hosts

From: Alexander Lamaison <swish_at_lammy.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 13:11:24 +0000

On 2 March 2011 12:17, Pierre-Yves Fontaniere <pyf_at_cc.in2p3.fr> wrote:
> On 03/02/2011 10:48 AM, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm using libssh2 1.2.7 on AIX 6.1 / 5.3
>>>
>>> Is it a bug or am i doing something wrong ?
>>>

>> It's a bug.  There are two possible solutions.
>>
>> The rougher, easier fix would be to modify libssh2 so that it can
>> process an arbitrary number of comma-separated aliases and creates a
>> new entry for each one.
>>
>> The much nicer fix would be to modify the knownhost handling so that
>> it explicitly supports alias lists and doesn't split them into
>> separate entries.  This means libssh2 could read in and write out any
>> known_hosts file and there should be no difference between the before
>> and after.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I'm snowed under with work and don't have time to look
>> at this.  Patches welcome :)
>>

> I'm already working on a patch :) , but if I try to follow the description i
> found here :
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=sshd&sektion=8
> Wild cards, revoked keys ... I think it will take years before seeing it. :)

Don't try to do it all at once! OpenSSH didn't. Why should you/we?
As you can see, the known_hosts support so far has been added
incrementally.

> From what I see, it would require a complete overhaul of the
> libssh2_knownhost_readline function... And i dislike having to rewrite a big
> portion of code just to make a patch.

Yes, this is one of the problems with the second approach I outlined;
I can't see a way to do it without an API change and we can't make
those changes willy-nilly. We have to store them up and so them all
at once.

> Anyway, I hope I could provide a patch soon.

Great :)

Alex

--
Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)