Subject: Re: Platforms with lengthy disconnection timeouts

Re: Platforms with lengthy disconnection timeouts

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:10:33 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>>> What is the best approach to make libssh2 react very quickly upon a
>>> physical disconnection, in the case the platform on which we are
>>> running don`t detect those events immediately on the socket level?
>>
>> How would libssh2 know more than the operating system?
>
> Is this a question about using keep-alive to make libssh2 detect
> disconnects better/faster?

I interpret it to be about libssh2 detecting link loss when the
operating system can not, which does not make sense, and in fact
short-circuits a big chunk of TCP functionality.

If you want fast link drop detection in your TCP stack then really
you have to tweak your TCP stack. libssh2 can't do much about it..

//Peter