Subject: RE: Updated libssh2 benchmark results

RE: Updated libssh2 benchmark results

From: Mark Riordan <mriordan_at_ipswitch.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:11:58 -0600

Aris wrote:

> I'm 100% sure it's due to packet delays. Mark, as a suggestion, could
> you provide us a little more information, like the RTT between the two
> hosts (even on the LAN), and the sample of code you used for the
> benchmark (so it's reproducible). We all know that performance of a lib
> may be very well depending on the way it's being used.

I'll get the round trip time info later--hopefully I'll have enough
energy tonight.
I put the source (and Windows executable) for my test program here:

http://trac.libssh2.org/attachment/ticket/197/sftpmrr.zip

> I'm also interested in having libssh's results on your site as well
> (both 0.4.6 and git master).

I'll see if I can do that today, at least for LAN results.

> On remote side, when possible write to /dev/null or to a SSD
> disk.

Well, I'm looking for real-world performance, not just high numbers
in my tests. Since other SSH clients are able to achieve higher
numbers consistently on the same client and server hardware,
I do not suspect filesystem performance as a factor here.

Regards,

Mark