Subject: Re: libssh2, winsshd, SFTP, and publickey login

Re: libssh2, winsshd, SFTP, and publickey login

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 23:53:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, rhamilton_at_scriptpro.com wrote:

> Can anybody tell me if there is a trick to getting the key format right, so
> I can use cUrl/libssh2 to do an SFTP transfer to/from a winsshd server with
> a username and publickey? I have a key that works with putty's psftp, and
> I've tried several ways to convert it with the puttygen tool

Note that libssh2's API still requires you to pass on both the private and the
public keys, so you must have both in the correct format.

But it would help if you'd show us the exact little example source code you're
running when you get your problem, and tell us what return code/error the
libssh2 function that fails returns etc. Possibly also show us what a trace
output log reveals.

> Logon attempt 1 for user name 'test' with logon method
> 'publickey' (algorithm: '-----BEGIN',

That certainly seems like a bad algorithm and an indication of a problem. It
indicates the file is bad I'd say. Or perhaps a bug in libssh2.

> We've upgraded to the latest version of winsshd, and I've tried libssh2
> v1.0 and v1.2.6.

There's no point in using any other libssh2 version than the most recent one.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se