Subject: RE: mingw cross compilation

RE: mingw cross compilation

From: Thomas Stover <thomas_at_wsinnovations.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:19:50 -0500

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:09:17 -0500, "Neil Gierman" <ngierman_at_roadrunn.com>
wrote:
>> Worst of all, openssl for windows really wants to be built with an
>> active
>> perl build script and visual studio to take advantage of the optimized
>> assemble. Lately that process doesn't even work for me.
>
> I build OpenSSL (0.9.8g) with ActivePerl and Visual Studio (2008) as a
> pre-build command. If you would like to use that method let me know how
> that
> process isn't working for you and I may be able to help.
>
> Neil

0.9.8g works. some newer ones like 1.0.0, 1.0.0a do not. Maybe I was
complaining too much. Eventually someone will notice and fix it. It looks
like at one point you could cross compile openssl (apparently with disabled
in line assembly). That might be an ok way to go for win64 though (if it
was supported) since I would guess optimized assembly hasn't been done yet
for win64.

Generally speaking, my work flow the last year or so has been along the
lines of:
-everything is going great on linux
-then after a few weeks try to make things work on windows again
-go home, cry, repeat

:)

To put it another way, my heart goes out to all these open source folks
that still care about those of us that still have to have windows in the
picture, because I know how much extra work it is.

--
www.thomasstover.com