Subject: Re: mingw cross compilation

Re: mingw cross compilation

From: Simon Josefsson <simon_at_josefsson.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:08:51 +0200

Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se> writes:

> Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Thanks. I'm not sure what the problem is, which Mingw version is this?
>>
>> There is a libtool error message in there that it cannot find a shared
>> version of the OpenSSL library,
>
> Since the example is being built non-static, that would certainly
> cause a problem. I'm also not quite sure why the errors are about
> libssh2 import library symbols though - unless dynamic libssh2 is
> simply not built, if dynamic libssl can't be found.

Ah, right, the examples are built to assume a shared library, and there
isn't one, so things break. I'm not certain, but this sounds plausible.

Hm. It is a bit strange that the examples requests import symbols,
though, since it must have gotten them from somewhere -- but maybe
libtool built a broken shared library rather than failing completely?

>> possibly if you install a shared libssl+libcrypto it will work, but
>> I'm not certain.
>
> I also think that will solve the problem.

At least it is worth a try.

Thomas, if my theory above is correct, you could also try ./configure
--disable-shared to make sure shared libraries are not used.

>> I wonder why it is that mingw builds just work for me, and rarely
>> does for anyone else.
>
> Works fine for me.

Thank you! I've been wondering why we have so many recurring mingw
questions.

/Simon