Subject: Re: sha1 hash is incorrect

Re: sha1 hash is incorrect

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:46:49 +0200

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> According to SSH-2 specs, SSH-1.99-* banners announce a server
>> compatible with both SSH2 and SSH1.
>
> I was looking for this in the specs, where exactly does it say this?

--8<-- RFC 4253 5.1. Old Client, New Server
   Server implementations MAY support a configurable compatibility flag
   that enables compatibility with old versions. When this flag is on,
   the server SHOULD identify its 'protoversion' as "1.99".
-->8--

> since the server in question is documented to only speak SSH 1.5, it
> is also very likely that the server simply doesn't speak SSH2
> properly.

SSH 1 and SSH 2 protocols are not compatible, and I'm not sure that
there would be any successful packet exchanges *at all* if the server
was SSH 1 only.

> read the Fressh source code

Sure, but hopefully we can debug this without having to go that far.

> Until we see a problem with a different server, I will remain
> suspecting this is a problem related to Fressh.

Well, at least it would be good if Evgeniy could test using OpenSSH
as a client, and connect to the same server, with full verbosity, and
send the log from that too.

ssh -vvv user_at_host

//Peter