Subject: Re: example/direct_tcpip.c missing header

Re: example/direct_tcpip.c missing header

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 09:05:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, Peter Stuge wrote:

> It's a bad idea for more reasons..

Well then we come back to another point we've discussed before.

If we build the examples as part of the top-level 'make' and no special make
command, then I claim they HAVE TO build on just about all systems that people
will run make on. And then we need the examples to very portable and at least
not fail to compile on all those systems.

I personally am far from convinced that building the examples in the root make
is a very good idea. Mostly for this reason.

> The primary point should be to demonstrate how to use the library, even if
> that means that a few of the examples will not build on every platform.

I agree. And I would argue that we can remove a lot of #ifdefs from them to
make them nicer examples, but then we more or less have to stop building them
with the default make target.

> direct_tcpip.c builds for Windows and Linux. I would very much appreciate to
> hear if it builds also on other platforms that people have access to.

I can suggest a long range of (older) systems that it won't build on simply
due to the lack of #includes. One specific detaild that I've spotted is the
fd_set type actually - lots of systems need "sys/select.h" for that, but
several systems don't have such a header... But I have no doubts that there
are more details to be found if we'd just check the builds on more esoteric
platforms.

> Are you sure?

I'm 100% sure.

--