Subject: Re: so name bump; impact on major, minor and patch version

Re: so name bump; impact on major, minor and patch version

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:53:12 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> No correlation can be assumed, but I suspect we'll go to libssh2 1.4.x or
> even 2.x.y from 1.2.x to reflect that we've done major changes. Daniel?

In my view it depends on what exact changes we do and not only if we bump the
soname. If we truly make all the changes mentioned in the TODO, then I think
we should go for a full 2.0.0 release but if we "only" clean up things such as
the size_t problems etc then I think 1.3.0 is good enough.

Ideally, I would like us to gently with the bump. Possibly start off by adding
#ifdefs or similar so that we can build the existing or the new ABI, so that
we can allow apps to try it out easier and get a feel for what's new and what
changes their apps require. We can then introduce the new ABI but not built by
default in a release or two before we take the jump and cut out the old and
run with only the new.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se