Subject: Re: libssh2_error

Re: libssh2_error

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:10:49 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Alexander Lamaison wrote:

> The attached patch adds libssh2_error calls to the knownhosts API. Daniel,
> can you look at the error message text to make sure it matches your
> intention?

I scanned over it quickly and it looked fine! To me the error code handling is
more important than the exact wording in the string.

> The only other controversial thing about this patch is that it removes the
> LIBSSH2_KNOWNHOST_CHECK_FAILURE result from libssh2_knownhost_check. Most
> other APIs return a negative value on an unexpected failure (as opposed an
> expected negative result). knownhost_check didn't so for consistent error
> handling I've changed it here. This may break existing code (though I'm not
> sure many people use the knownhost API yet) so you may disagree with this.

Sorry, but that would break API and ABI and I can't agree with that. libcurl
is an example of something that will break on this suggested change.

I agree with the general spirit and I'll admit it was a bit sloppy of me to
not pay attention to that detail when I added those functions. I think a
better approach is to make a note about this in the TODO document and we'll
instead address it in the future when we bump the soname.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se