Subject: Socket access (for close)

Socket access (for close)

From: Neil Gierman <ngierman_at_roadrunn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:29:27 -0500

I have been looking at the efficiency of my code lately and noticed what I
think is a missing feature from the API. When I libssh2_session_disconnect,
it does not close the socket that was passed during libssh2_session_init.
When I went to close the socket myself I found out that
LIBSSH2_SESSION->sock_fd is not public and I cannot access it from my
client. My question is, should we have access to the raw socket from our
clients, or should we implement socket closing inside the library? Since we
are required to create the socket outside the library, it makes sense to me
to also close the socket in our own application, however we can't do that
without access to the socket.

In the mean time I have modified libssh2_session_disconnect to close the
socket before exiting the function (and my netstat is SO much cleaner), but
I don't think that is the proper place to do it.

Am I missing something pretty basic?

Neil