Subject: Re: GIT for idiot apprentice

Re: GIT for idiot apprentice

From: Kamil Dudka <kdudka_at_redhat.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 19:43:46 +0200

Hi Gün,

On Wednesday 02 of September 2009 19:34:57 Guenter wrote:
> Folks,
> I have not yet got the basics of GIT - call me idiot, whatever ...
> can someone please draw me a line how to work stressless with that
> beasty repository tool and without need to study docu for 3 days?
>
> All what I need is only:
> - create a local copy of the libssh2 repos
> - modify files
> - upload the changes
>
> what I was told so far by Peter and others, I tried is:
>
> - git clone ssh://user@git.stuge.se/var/lib/git/libssh2.git
> - modified files

at this point you are missing git commit!!

> - git push origin master

AFAICT 'git push' should be sufficient if you are not in a branch. If your
repo is up2date, you only need to 'git pull' before (and possibly resolve
some conflicts if any).

I can recommend this as viable start for git beginners:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=coreutils.git;a=blob_plain;f=HACKING

Kamil