Subject: Re: Commit emails, patch authors and git log messages

Re: Commit emails, patch authors and git log messages

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 13:58:56 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Peter Stuge wrote:

> Hm, I noticed that there's not (yet? ;) a strong habit of summarizing the
> patch in the first line.

Indeed not. I'm actually still a lot behind on getting up to speed with good
git habits. I tend to explain my commits but with a more verbose style that
doesn't necessary sum up terribly good in the first line.

> And for others who are submitting patches, feel free to add:
>
> From: Your Name <your_at_email>

Yeah, that too is something my spine hasn't really caught up with.

> git-am (or git am) is great for applying patches from email, just feed it
> the mbox file(s) and it does the right thing. :)

Yes, another thing I've not quite learned to use. But then we're also usally
A) getting a lot of patches from other channels (like the bug tracker) and B)
the patches are rarely that "complete" so I often do a lot of editing and
shaping up, which then in the end begs the question whose patch/work it really
is so it makes the distinction harder between committer and author.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se