Subject: Re: intermittent channel read problems

Re: intermittent channel read problems

From: Peter Stuge <peter_at_stuge.se>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 22:59:31 +0200

Jeremy Knope wrote:
> Thanks for the tips, I'll have to try that. I'm on OS X so I
> suppose now is a good time to learn dtrace.

There is also ktrace+kdump.

And you could of course try running your libssh2 program against a
server on another platform, to get more data points.

> sshd is also run a little different on here than I'm used to, seems
> to be setup in some on-demand fashion, sshd launches when
> connection is requested but there is no parent sshd always running.

Maybe it's handled by launchd. Check out
http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENTATION/DARWIN/Reference/ManPages/man1/launchctl.1.html

> I'll look into what I can do to try to trace it,

If ktrace can't attach to a running process and dtrace seems to be
too long a haul, I would disable the service with launchctl and run
sshd manually through ktrace.

> the logging spits out interesting info but also 'fixes' the
> problem. There are some errors mentioned there but not sure if
> they're expected or not.

Send them to the list.

//Peter