Subject: Re: memory (leak) debugging

Re: memory (leak) debugging

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:39:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Simon Josefsson wrote:

> I gave up on dmalloc a long time ago, in my experience valgrind leads to
> better results and doesn't require changes to the build.
>
> In most of my other projects, I always set up so that the self-tests are run
> under valgrind automatically (if valgrind is installed). Maybe that would
> help libssh2? We need more self-tests, though...

Yes, we need more self-tests and running them with valgrind is a good way to
catch most of the problems. But there are two buts here that our current leak
(Daniel Johnson's report) shows us where just relying on valgrind isn't good
enough:

  A) valgrind slows down the execution a lot. I can get the leak to occur in my
     tests but it seems virtually impossible to make happen when valgrind
     monitors/slows down the code. A plain memory-leak detection would be
     almost no extra overhead.

  B) when people detect leaks on non-valgrind platforms

--
  / daniel.haxx.se