Subject: Re: [libssh2] introducing maketgz

Re: [libssh2] introducing maketgz

From: Guenter Knauf <eflash_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:25:54 +0200

Hi,
> Finally, I want the next release to be version 1.0 to end the sub zero
> release series as I believe libssh2 is quite usable as it currently works.
I know. The reason I've suggested just a 0.16.0 is because I wanted it just now;
if we speak of 1.0 I fear that there come a bunch of things up which the one or other would like to have (fixed/added) in 1.0, and that would again start delaying the next release.
Finally, what I would like to see in a 1.0 is:
- proper support for a wide range of platforms + compilers (at least the Win32 stuff needs nore tweaks, and probably other platforms plug in there too)
- improve our samples so that they are really samples to get folks getting started.

from my recent experience I see that they are limited, dont provide all auth methods, and therefore dont provide a view for correct usage of the lib. F.e. for the keyboard-interactive stuff I had to lookup in libcurl's implementation, and what I've added to ssh2.c is still not working same way as how the curl commandline works; also I see the ssh2 sample behave other with the libssh2_userauth_list() call than without, and that puzzles me too. Finally when I build a MSVC libcurl + libssh2 then it doesnt work at all, and I get 'out of memory' when I try a sftp connection....

But: I dont see these as real showstoppers for 1.0 - a MingW32 build works just fine, so the MSVC issues are probably only some compiler switches...

Guen.