Subject: Re: [libssh2] introducing maketgz

Re: [libssh2] introducing maketgz

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:03:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, James Housley wrote:

>> But how would you fix the existing one? We should at least make it C89...
>
> That I don't know. Is there a nice constant for the max file descriptors we
> could use? It seems unlikely that libssh2 would have more then a couple
> open at a time, unlike cURL.

The poll function allows the caller to check multiple ssh connections so it
could actually use a larger number of connections.

But I thought some more about this problem and I think we should rather not
introduce a new function but instead do two things:

1) for pre-C99 compilers we set a fixed max amount of file descriptors (like
    256 or so)

2) for C99 compilers we use the existing method

(the compiler compliance check would of course have to be made by configure)

This has the advantage that it maintains the exact same API but only
introduces a limit for older compilers, but one that shouldn't cause much
trouble to anyone.

Comments?