Subject: Re: [libssh2] Self tests and oh by the way...

Re: [libssh2] Self tests and oh by the way...

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 16:03:22 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Sara Golemon wrote:

> I should mention that I received an offer about a year ago from the folks at
> VanDyke software (http://www.vandyke.com -- they produce SSH clients and
> servers) to include libssh2 in their QA tests if we can provide them with a
> test framework that's runable from the command line.

I think we need a basic ssh server for our test suite, which we can tell
exactly how to behave so that we can do various runs against it and have it
reply fine, reply bad, not reply at all etc and make sure that libssh2 deals
with all the situations nicely.

I would also feel a lot more secure when rewriting fundamental parts of the
lib, since currently I have no good way to know that the lib still works
sufficiently fine when I've modified it greatly. And this troubles me. My
patch is now huge and I like incremental development...

> I havn't asked, but I imagine this offer would include cURL's use of libssh2
> as well.

I would assume that if we get a test suite for libssh2 running, that would
make sure that libssh2 behaves pretty good (I realize it won't cover
everything but perhaps at least a good bit of it), and then curl's usage of
libssh2 wouldn't really have to be tested (from libssh2's angle at least)
since the API is documented and known to be working...

This said, I'm quite eager to get a test ssh server for curl's test suite as
well so that I can add test cases for curl to do scp and sftp transfers.